HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
E collar help (Read 54 times)
Lance McWethy

OKNAVHDA

E collar help
07/24/14 at 10:40:58

Got my e-collar today,working on the whoa command with the nick was wondering the constant is only to be used like a deer or rabbit situation right? It also has a vibration feature do I try after a while  to just transition to a vibrate on the whoa command after it is established . Looking for some  feed back  to make sure I do this right. I got a dogtra 2300

IP Logged
tstunkard

Jenks, OK
Re: E collar help
Reply #1 - 07/24/14 at 11:22:25

Lance McWethy wrote on 07/24/14 at 10:40:58:
Got my e-collar today,working on the whoa command with the nick was wondering the constant is only to be used like a deer or rabbit situation right? It also has a vibration feature do I try after a while  to just transition to a vibrate on the whoa command after it is established . Looking for some  feed back  to make sure I do this right. I got a dogtra 2300

First, I hope you started with the pinch collar and the dog fully understands the command before introducing the e-collar...... Undecided

Second, how did you determine the proper level of stimulation?

In my method the "nick" or "momentary" has one meaning...."STOP or WHOA" and stand still until I release you. The dog first has to understand the "whoa command" as taught with the pinch collar and then transitioned to the e-collar. For "whoa", after you have determined the proper level of stimulation I don't increase the level unless I have to. If the first nick doesn't stop the dog I repeat the nick. Basically nick, nick, nick until compliance.

The "continuous" is used for recall, trained retrieve, turning, and trash breaking. Some suggest you can use a quick "on" and "off" continuous stimulation in place of the "nick". What I've found is there is a difference in the feeling of the impulse and the durations are inconsistent along with pressing and letting off the button to quick which doesn't provide a stimulation at all.

The "vibrate" I would use for a silent recall.

Let the dog wear the collar whenever he is out of the house or in the field. Doesn't need to be turned on. He's young so there is no need to be stimulating him at this time. I will gladly go over the proper use of the e-collar at our next training day.

Very easy to make a big mistake unless you have been given some instruction!

t

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity"

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09 -1/27/14

IP Logged
Lance McWethy

OKNAVHDA

Reply #2 - 07/24/14 at 13:36:15

I've been working with the whoa command with pinch collar he's been doing well I think last training day you said it would be good to start incorperating it with the pinch collar .
To test how much you said to put it on him in a relaxed situation start at lowest setting and look for any sign of noticing it and to stop there cause you don't want to go to far at start of training with it and I also have been having him wear it around with no stimulation to get use to it

IP Logged
tstunkard

Jenks, OK
Reply #3 - 07/24/14 at 13:48:48

Lance McWethy wrote on 07/24/14 at 13:36:15:
I've been working with the whoa command with pinch collar he's been doing well I think last training day you said it would be good to start incorperating it with the pinch collar .
To test how much you said to put it on him in a relaxed situation start at lowest setting and look for any sign of noticing it and to stop there cause you don't want to go to far at start of training with it and I also have been having him wear it around with no stimulation to get use to it

Sounds like you are on track.....just wanted to make sure you didn't have any setbacks. Check your PMs....

IP Logged
tstunkard

Jenks, OK
Reply #4 - 07/24/14 at 16:42:13

~
I will demo the use of an e-collar at the next training day. Easier than trying to do it on the web.....

IP Logged
Jay  Hoth
YaBB Administrator

Enid
Reply #5 - 07/25/14 at 06:41:08

Awesome Terry.

The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
WWW   IP Logged
Bruce MacDonald
YaBB Administrator

Tulsa, OK
Reply #6 - 07/25/14 at 08:32:47

Jay  Hoth wrote on 07/25/14 at 06:41:08:
Awesome Terry.

Did you mean "awesome, Terry" or "awesome Terry", hopefully the one with the comma  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Jay  Hoth
YaBB Administrator

Enid
Reply #7 - 07/26/14 at 16:44:33

Either...you jealous?

The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
WWW   IP Logged
tstunkard

Jenks, OK
Reply #8 - 07/26/14 at 17:58:05

Bruce MacDonald wrote on 07/25/14 at 08:32:47:
Jay  Hoth wrote on 07/25/14 at 06:41:08:
Awesome Terry.

Did you mean "awesome, Terry" or "awesome Terry", hopefully the one with the comma  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

In either case it is MR. AWESOME for you.......I'll save you a seat on the front row if you'd like....... Tongue  Grin  Grin  Grin

t

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print