HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Training Requirements (Read 210 times)
Mike Byer

Edmond, Oklahoma, 73013
Training Requirements
06/05/09 at 06:57:12

Since the game warden was at Westlake last training day and we have all heard different stories about the requirements for dog training we thought we better make sure we are in compliance with the law. I called the Law Enforcement group at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife to get clarification. Here is what they told me:
1) anyone who shoots a gun needs an Oklahoma Dog Trainers License
2) anyone who "assists with the hunt" (planting birds, operating launchers etc.) needs an Oklahoma Hunting License.
3) any gamebird used needs a band, even if frozen or no season is listed for that bird in Oklahoma, a gamebird is a gamebird in his words.
4) We are required to call the game warden from the area we are training and let him know where and when we are training.

According to the Law Enforcement office we should try to avoid any situation that could be misinterpreted or argued. Pigeons are not gamebirds but shooting pigeons requires the Dog Trainers License. The other birds we use quail, pheasant, chukar, and ducks are gamebirds. I will have gamebirds banded when brought to training days and will have bands available for birds you may already have. I will call the appropriate game warden to let them know when and where we will be training so be prepared !!

If you have any questions you can call me @ (405) 406-1956.

Mike Byer

« Last Edit: 12/09/09 at 09:42:30 by Bruce MacDonald »  

DD Hunter

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

IP Logged
Bruce MacDonald
YaBB Administrator

Tulsa, OK
Re: Training Requirements
Reply #1 - 12/09/09 at 09:44:18

Don't forget to get your dog trainer's license for 2010!!!!!!

IP Logged
JDoolittle

OKNAVHDA

Reply #2 - 03/12/11 at 21:30:47

Maybe you guys can help me out. I printed off the application for the dog trainers license and it has a place for a game wardens signature. I assumed it was like the lifetime license where you would just call your local warden, make arrangements to get him to sign it and mail it in. My problem is that I have left multiple messages with two different wardens telling them what I need and neither of them will return my call.
My questions are:
1)      Does a warden really need to sign the application form?
2)      Do I need the license if I have a lifetime license?
3)      How long does it take to get the license after submitting the application?

IP Logged
Bruce MacDonald
YaBB Administrator

Tulsa, OK
Reply #3 - 03/12/11 at 21:33:45

No, you don't need to have the warden sign it.

Yes, I am pretty sure you have to have one even with a lifetime license.

I think I received mine in a couple of weeks.

Bruce

IP Logged
Mike Byer

Edmond, Oklahoma, 73013
Reply #4 - 03/13/11 at 07:14:23

I would call the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife and tell them your situation. They can tell you exactly what needs to be filled out and what doesn't. If you have access to a fax machine I would also ask them if you could fax the completed form to them which would speed up the process.

Mike

DD Hunter

IP Logged
tstunkard

Jenks, OK
Reply #5 - 03/13/11 at 10:19:13

JDoolittle wrote on 03/12/11 at 21:30:47:
Maybe you guys can help me out. I printed off the application for the dog trainers license and it has a place for a game wardens signature. I assumed it was like the lifetime license where you would just call your local warden, make arrangements to get him to sign it and mail it in. My problem is that I have left multiple messages with two different wardens telling them what I need and neither of them will return my call.
My questions are:
  • 1)Does a warden really need to sign the application form? (NO)
  • 2)Do I need the license if I have a lifetime license? (YES)
  • 3)How long does it take to get the license after submitting the application? (Personal Check about 3wks, Money Order Or Cashier's Check 2wks, I think you can also use a Credit Card which will help speed the process)

Terry

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity"

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09 -1/27/14

IP Logged
JDoolittle

OKNAVHDA

Reply #6 - 03/14/11 at 18:23:57

I broke down and called the Dept. of Wildlife today and she took all my info over the phone. I paid with my credit card and she said I should have the license by Saturday. Should have done that to begin with.

IP Logged
Mark Ellerd

Reply #7 - 03/14/11 at 21:33:17

Dwight Luther (the game warden) told me not to call anymore, he knows what I am doing, but I can give him a call if you would like me to.
Mark

IP Logged
Mike Byer

Edmond, Oklahoma, 73013
Reply #8 - 03/14/11 at 21:48:23

Personally I think it would be better to over communicate rather than under communicate. I'm sure Dwight feels comfortable with your program but may not be aware of our club function at your place and especially where we will have so many gamebirds and people with dogs and guns. Hopefully he will be just as comfortable with us meeting at your place but just to be sure I would appreciate it if you would give him a call since you already know him. If you would rather I call him I can.

Thanks,
Mike Byer

DD Hunter

IP Logged
Mark Ellerd

Reply #9 - 03/15/11 at 14:33:56

Thanks Mike
I can give him a call, no problem.
Mark

IP Logged